To book an Inspection email us at email@example.com or call 250-837-3637. When requesting the Building Inspection please inform us of what type of inspection, the Building Permit number and the address.
When a Building Permit is issued several site inspections are required before final approval and occupancy are granted. This is to ensure the safety and quality of craftsmanship throughout several building stages. The types of inspections required may vary depending on what the Building Permit is for but for a new single family dwelling they are as follows:
- Footings Inspection - On the completion of form work for the footings, prior to pouring concrete. A legal survey plan is required to ensure siting is accurate.
- Backfilling Inspection - Prior to backfilling an inspection is made of the damproofing, drain tiles and drain rock (if required). Often during this inspection the Building Inspector will also examine the sanitary or sewer storm or water service connections to ensure they are the correct size and placement.
- Plumbing Inspection - Completed in 2 stages the Underslab Poly and Radon barriers are inspected and at a later date the above slab lines are inspected. Plumbing certificates from a certified professional are also required.
- Framing Inspection - After the entire rough in plumbing is completed, electrical work and heating equipment is installed and the framing is completed to lock up stage. At this stage the Structural Engineer will also be able to inspect the building and provide builders with a Schedule C-B which we will require a copy of for our records.
- Fireplace Inspection - If a fireplace is included in the design the Building Inspector will look at this in 2 stages. First inspection will be of the first flue lines above the smoke chamber and the second inspection will be of the chimney cap prior to installing.
- Insulation Inspection - After Insulation and Vapour Barriers are installed and prior to covering these will be inspected to ensure there is good coverage with approved materials.
- Occupancy Inspection - Prior to anyone occupying any part of the building a conditional occupancy permit must be acquired.
If you are booking an Occupancy Inspection you will be required to pass all items on the Final Inspection Checklist. If you are missing any documents such as Schedules, Final permits (Electrical, Plumbing, etc), Building Location Certificate, etc you will not be able to book in for an inspection until all requested items are submitted to the Development Services Department.
Professional Field Reviews
If the project will be overseen by a Registered Professional and a Schedule A is provided please our guide for Professional Services Field Reports to ensure that the progress reports are submitted in a timely manner after each site visit.
Booking a Building Inspection
To book an inspection contact the Development Services Department at 250-837-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, our office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Please provide your Building Permit Number and Civic Address when booking and note that prior to booking Building Inspections all relevant documentation must be submitted to our office.
BC Safety Authority - It is the responsibility of the BC Safety Authority for Electrical Inspections. Please find the information below.